Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Meat and Three

Every once in a while I will attempt to post about some "southern sayings" that I have encountered.  Maybe they aren't necessarily "southern only" but they are new to me since we have moved south.  One such saying is "A Meat and Three".  I mentioned this in an earlier post but now feel the need to expand on it.

Last year when we moved, the driver of the truck asked me where's the best place to get a meat and three.  I thought he was speaking a foreign language and had no clue what he was after other than food. Now I get it!

Now I have come across it several times.  It is on the menu a lot down here.  In Midwestern terms, aka Kansas/Jane's Place, it is good old fashioned home cooking - most of the time.   Sometimes it is real southern like fried okra, corn relish, flat green beans, and pimento spread. 

Sometimes it is served family style and other times it just shows up on your plate with a roll and 1/2 and  1/2  (I will tell you about southern 1/2 and 1/2 later.).

Hope y'all get it now as I do!

Living Sweetly in the South,

Miss Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment