Monday, September 12, 2011

Sometimes I feel like I am "a few strawberries short of a picnic"!

Well, I had my follow up visit to the opthamologist and we think the procedure did help my vision.  Now, I only wear one contact and don't reach for my readers near as much as I used to.  That visit was on Thursday right before P.E.O.  Are you tired of hearing about P.E.O. yet....too bad...!!!

I waited for a new gal who lives just up the mountain from me a little ways and off we went.  Her name is Karen; so I knew I would like her right away!  Anyway, she was being initiated that day.  We were to go..have brunch, meeting and short program.  We had the business meeting, a short program on P.E.O. etiquette and then home.  Karen has lived here about 7 years from California and told me about some other neat places. 

Friday - you guessed it...I got in the car and went to try out these new places.  I went over to the GA/TN line and went to an outlet store for bedding and curtains from JC Penney and Macy's that was advertised in the paper.  They did have a huge selection just not anything I wanted.  Left there and went to a placed that I had seen advertised on tv and the Sports Barn that morning for furniture.  It was okay..again..just not what I wanted.  Went from there to Southeastern Salvage.  It is a really neat store that you really have to go to every now and then because they get new shipments in all the time.  They have a lot of home decor, furniture, mirrors. baskets and such.  Saw a really neat pie safe looking piece but didn't buy it. They show you their items and then they show you where else you could buy it for a lot more money....Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn etc.

From there since I was across the street from Sam's I filled up the car and then went to pick up dry cleaning and then to the "wonderful" bakery Karen had told me about.  Well,  not quite what I expected and in a remote location that I woul have never tried unless someone had told me about it.  They only had dinner rolls and sweet breads for their breads but had a lot of pastries.  I bought what the clerk told me about that they were famous for....cheese wafers and this little cookie looking thing with icing on top as well as two petite fours.    The cheese wafers were the best...but not as good as mine or others that I have had...(showing my ugly side), the cookie things were just that....things...not sure what to make of them - they had some type of spice, grain or something in them that seemed "meaty".  Karen told me the petite fours were the best so I asked them..do you have any ....yes,  "stupid"  they are in the case in front of you.  It literally was not what I was expecting.  They were what the words mean...small cakes.  It was like someone took a sheet cake and cut it into squares..about 3 by 3 pieces and then put a sugar glaze (not a frosting) over it and put a little flour on top.  Live and learn and I won't try those again.  They do have great looking cakes and pies and something to think about for the holidays.  Home after all that.  Pat was home shortly after a meeting with the CEO of TVA!  I worry about him sometimes.  He was told to do a project that they don't have the money for.....Let's see if you want to do a project at your house you can't afford do you do it or not???  One of his co workers in Alabama did that and overspent the budget by $20M and then was let go....  Guess the CEO has a "slush fund" of his own.....damn the torpedos....full steam ahead.

Friday night we ate a quick bite at Chili's and then to a lawn and garden center on "So you want a lush beautiful lawn" .  It was a good talk and we learned a lot.  Sooooo...Saturday...yard work day!  We bought some bushes as two of ours had died and some pansies.  Pansies here bloom all winter or they are supposed to ....we will see. 

Saturday PM we went to the matinee of "The Help".  Very good.  Slow beginning and not as good as the book..never is.  It so reminded me of our mammy when I was little in the scene when they get off the bus.  And mom too!  Playing bridge and pay about $5.00 a day...going rate!  Grabbed a pizza and brought it home with a salad and wine.  Hot tub and bed.  It is getting chilly here in the evenings....low 60's but mid 80's in the day!

Sunday more yard work.  We watched a show on that channel I told you about earlier...EPIX about some dutsch people learning italian.  Two sayings for you....what does "jolly cola" mean???  In the show it was just a coke in a bottle.  And what does "a few strawberries short of a  picnic" mean.....ha ha.

This week I am going to a newcommers group luncheon and fashion show.  It is for newcommers but there are a lot of women who have been in it for years.  They have something every Wednesday. First Wednesday is book club.  I am reading "The Hunger Wars" for it.  Next is luncheon, then activity- they are going to Atlanta- I want to go next week.  Then coffee.  They play bridge and a lot of them are P.E.O.'s.

Made plane reservations to go to KC for the Junior League Show!!! YEA.  I am so excited.  We are going in October to visit Katie in Philly. This weekend we are going to High Point, NC to the furniture outlets.  It is about a 5 hour drive so we will go Friday night, spend the night and come home Saturday night I think. 
That is all for now..

Living Sweetly in the South (or trying to),

Miss Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment